Understanding Vet Care For Dogs And Cats

About Me

Understanding Vet Care For Dogs And Cats

Hello everyone, I’m Megan. Welcome. I would like to use this site to talk to you all about vet care for dogs and cats. As soon as I bring my pets home, I make an appointment with the vet. The first appointment allows me to establish care and discuss a good vaccination schedule for my animals. The vet performs a thorough examination to confirm my pet is in good health. Throughout my pets’ lives, I bring them back to the vet for diagnosis and treatment when they are ill or injured. My site will cover pet illnesses and injuries along with the tests and treatments used for each medical condition. Thanks.

4 Steps To Take If Your Dog Comes In Contact With A Poisonous Toad

Dogs are curious by nature. If they find something interesting, they want to play with it. Unfortunately, that curious nature can get them into trouble, especially if they try to play with a poisonous toad. The Colorado River toad secretes poisons from its body that can get a dog's mouth and cause serious health problems such as seizures. In extreme cases, the poison from a Colorado River toad can be fatal for dogs if they ingest enough of the poison. If you live in the southwestern United States, and you suspect your dog has come in contact with one, you need to take action fast. Some signs of poison ingestion include:

  • Disorientation
  • Involuntary defecation or urination
  • Yelping

Here are four steps you should take if your dog might have ingested Colorado River toad poison.

Rinse Its Mouth

As soon as you suspect that your dog has had oral contact with a toad, you need to rinse its mouth out with clear water. Hold your dog and use either a garden hose or kitchen sink sprayer to flush its mouth for at least 3 minutes. If you don't have access to either a garden hose or sink sprayer, you can also use a plastic spray bottle.

Elevate Its Head

Toad poison can make it difficult for your dog to breathe. It can also cause vomiting. Elevate your dog's head on a pillow or rolled up towel to help ease its breathing and to prevent choking should it start to vomit.

Get to the Vet

Once you have flushed the poison out of your dog's mouth, you'll need to get to the veterinarian as quickly as possible. You should try to find one that specializes in emergency care. This will ensure that they're prepared to take care of walk-in emergencies.

Watch for Shock

While you're on your way to the vet, you'll need to watch your dog for signs of shock. Toad poison can cause your dog to go into shock quickly. Watch to make sure your dog's eyes don't glaze over and its gums don't become pale. If your dog shows signs of shock, wrap it in a towel or blanket to keep it warm.

If your dog spends a lot of time outside, and you have Colorado River toads nearby, the two may come in contact with each other. If they do, use the tips provided above to get your dog the care it will need. Visit a vet like one from Animal House Veterinary Hospital for further assistance.